How do I edit a page?
To edit a page, simply click the edit link that appears on each page. Using the default MonoBook skin, this is in the form of a tab at the top of the page. A form will appear, containing the existing markup. When you have finished making modifications, click the Save button to commit your changes.
How do I create a new page?
There are several paths to creating a new page:
- Create a link to the page on another page, then click on the red link which appears
- Browse to the intended location of the page, e.g. http://www.example.com/index.php?title=New_page and click on the edit link.
On some wikis, a failed search for a page will contain a link which allows you to edit that page.
How do I delete an old version of a page?
Old versions of page data are retained in the database and can be accessed via the page history features. This is useful for reviewing changes and correcting or reverting undesirable ones, but in some cases, administrators might want to make this information unavailable, for legal reasons, or to reduce the size of the database.
- Administrators can delete an old revision of a page by deleting the page, and then selectively undeleting revisions to be kept
- The Oversight extension (also known as HideRevision) can be used to move harmful revisions out of page histories
- For newer MediaWikis (1.14+), you can enable the core RevisionDelete feature that allows privileged users to remove single revisions from page histories
- The maintenance/deleteOldRevisions.php maintenance script can mass-delete all old revisions of pages and their associated text records.
- See also: http://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/Manual:Removing_embarrassment.
Are there any editing tutorials available?
There are several editing tutorials available, mostly on Wikimedia sister projects, such as Wikipedia. There are also markup references, etc. available on Meta.
- Editing help content on Meta - http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Help:Editing
- The guide on the English Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:How_to_edit_a_page
How do I view the printable form of a page?
MediaWiki includes stylesheets which automatically style a page appropriately when it is printed; using the print or print preview function within your browser ought to render the page in a printable form.
You can also view this printable form using the printable version link in the toolbox.